Re: Conservative GC isn't safe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Conservative GC isn't safe
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:29:06 -0500

> Documentation aspects aside, if by "manipulate struct interval" you
> mean what we do in intervals.c between the call to make_interval and
> the return value being plugged into some Lisp object, either a buffer

Yes, basically, that kind of manipulation.

> or a string, then we could set a variable during that time, which
> would cause an abort in GC, if that happens somehow.

Such a var would only catch some of the possible issues I think
(there's also the issue of when we take an existing struct interval
pointer, remove it from one lvalue and plug it into another, plus
various other cases).

IOW it sounds difficult to make such a test be "complete" (catch
most/all cases).  I also think it could prove fiddly to avoid
false positives.

        Stefan