RE: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 18:26:25 -0800 (PST)

> > Oh, yes; a GIANT change (?) ;-)
> > Pretty drastic, huh?  It adds the restriction to a ring variable.
>
> The point is that now any piece of code which uses `widen` will have
> to decide whether to widen like the original `widen` or like your
> advised C-x n w

No.  `C-x n w' is not advised.  Nor is `widen' advised.  Nor
redefined in any way.

But again, I am not asking that you adopt my code or my approach.
The point is that users are not bereft of ways to return to a
previous restriction.  I answered the "problem" posed by Eli for
narrowing in Info.

I'm not even asking that you provide or enhance commands in
some other way, in order to, as I showed, make it easier for
users to return to a previous restriction.

I'm asking only that narrowing continue to be usable by both
users and Lisp code, in the same way, as a change in buffer
limits, rather than, say, a fiddle with overlays.