Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:32:42 -0500

> I would like the comment-cache code to be merged into master soon.

This message is probably redundant, but just to make it clear:

I'm opposed to this change as it is because I find its cost/benefit
tradeoff to be poor.  I don't think solving some rare pathological case
of (forward-comment -1) deserves this complexity.

I think we'd be better off with either:

- a simpler change, to reduce the cost part of the tradeoff (such as the
  one I suggested, using syntax-ppss; such a change might make extra
  demands on syntax-ppss which will require further "refinement" to
  syntax-ppss, but these refinements are needed in any case, so are not
  an argument against that change, but only an argument to delay the
  change).

- a more thorough change, to improve the benefit (i.e. make your
  "comment-cache" able to provide the same kind of information that we
  currently get via syntax-ppss, so it can supersede syntax-ppss).

        Stefan