Re: Reformat all of src/

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:23:46 -0500

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:
If we were going to reformat all the sources, I'd rather we observe the rule
"never use tabs". I don't see what benefit they possibly offer.

Make files aside, is there any other justification for hard tabs besides compression?

40
​+​
years ago when
​my​
 only available language
​s were DEC​
assembler
​s​
a line
typically looked like:

With identifiers limited to 6 characters and short comments tabs easily produced
50% compression.  In more modern languages I have to believe that the compression
is _much_ less.