Re: Reformat all of src/

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 17:20:37 -0000

On Wed, December 28, 2016 4:59 pm, John Wiegley wrote:

> PL> FWIW (not very much) I think tabs suck...
>

> If we were going to reformat all the sources, I'd rather we observe the
> rule "never use tabs". I don't see what benefit they possibly offer.

I don't know if there is a policy in the GNU coding guidelines or not, or
whether Emacs has one, but some visual indication of where it is (not)
being followed would be a good thing.

The commit hook already checks for some whitespace issues (spaces before
tabs for instance). Clearly adding something to this hook to enforce a
whitespace policy now would not work given that Emacs is inconsistent in
its use, unless it could be made to just check the diffed region perhaps,
which might be a way of "fix things as we go".

What the policy would be (if it does not exist), I care less about.

Phil