Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:22:45 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> schrieb am Mi., 30. Nov. 2016 um 16:48 Uhr:
Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> In json-encode? Should it really deal with that concern explicitly?
>
> I could understand an idea along the lines of "use a different
> algorithm", but calling encode-coding-string inside json-encode sounds
> odd.

Yes, this is not a json.el problem at all.  It does the correct thing,
and shouldn't be changed.

Agreed. Neither symbol-function nor concat nor the JSON function do anything wrong here.

It's just url.el being lacking in features, as usual.

I don't think url.el needs to grow features for encoding; after all, Emacs already has functions for that. I'd rather add an explicit check for unibyte-ness of url-request-data and document that url-request-data must be a unibyte string or nil.