Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Filipe Silva
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:14:46 -0200

Ted,

https://hub.docker.com/r/gnuemacs/emacs/ is giving me http 404. Is that the correct address?

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:10:53 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

RW> Filipe Silva <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ted, I think that before the portable dumper branch get's merged or the big
>> elc file branch gets merged, you are going to have a really hard time
>> writing a docker file for that because of:
>> https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/22801

RW> I would like to state again that we (i.e. the GNU project) already have
RW> a way to build valid Docker images for Emacs using GNU Guix.  It does
RW> not even involve the use of Docker, nor does it require a third-party
RW> “base image” of a GNU+Linux system.

I don't see a problem providing both as "gnuemacs/guix-emacs" and
"gnuemacs/docker-emacs" or something like that. Or as tags of
"gnuemacs/emacs". I don't think they are equivalent, though, so the need
for a `docker build' solution is still there.

RW> Would it be helpful if the Guix project provided a Docker image for the
RW> latest release for download?  To me it seems only natural for GNU Emacs
RW> and GNU Guix to cooperate; it’s all GNU.

Sure. But there's more that Docker Hub offers: a global namespace; a
distributed download service; automated builds. You can upload the Guix
image to Docker Hub and get all of those benefits except the automated
builds: see https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/repos/

If you can pack an ARM build into the image so it's multiarch, that's
great too. I know there's a way to do it with the Docker tools, so the
image format supports it. But it's definitely not a requirement.

I can add you to the Docker Hub account so you can do at least the first
uploads. Later we can automate them through Hydra or some other CI tool.

Ted