Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 14:08:06 -0500

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 10:39, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It appears that the .elc output can vary depending on whether other loaded
>> Lisp code was compiled or not.
>
> Indeed: the culprit is the defsubst implementation.  Currently, if
> a function is byte-compiled, the optimizer inlines its byte-codes
> and when it's not yet byte-compiled, then it inlines the source code.
>
> We should probably change that so that when it finds that the defsubst
> function is not yet byte-compiled, it byte-compiles it and then inlines
> the resulting byte-codes.

Is this a known (and filed) bug?  A quick search for defsubst in debbugs only
finds me one unrelated report.

In any case, doing “make bootstrap” from clean trees (which I’m assuming will
byte-compile files in the same order each time) still gets me a few differences
between the branch point and the branch, including python.elc differing in use
of dynamic docstrings, and url-handler.elc file-name-handler wrappers saying
“no original documentation”.  Still more to debug, I guess.

Ken