Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:55:46 -0500

> In the current situation I think that both Stefan and Dmitry have an
> emotional attachment to syntax-ppss despite its manifest flaws, and it

Of course, I have an emotional attachment to syntax-ppss, since I wrote
it and used it all over the place.  And of course you have an emotional
attachment to comment-cache since you wrote it.

But using words like "flaw" to describe a simple shortcoming of the
current implementation, is really not helping.  I hope I never wrote
something about your comment-cache that was similarly aimed at just
putting it down.

BTW, your comment-cache doesn't fix that "flaw" and hence won't help any
of those users of syntax-ppss which can't be changed to use your
comment-cache.  Which is why I said many months ago that it'd be fine to
use something like your comment-cache *if* you extend it to provide the
functionality of syntax-ppss.

But that's also why I think this whole discussion is pointless: we first
need to focus on that "flaw" which comes to the problems of narrowing
and whether tools like syntax-ppss, comment-cache, font-lock, etc... can
and should widen and if so when and up to where.

        Stefan