Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:20:21 +0800

On 12 Feb 2017 10:55, "John Wiegley" <address@hidden> wrote:

This argument right here is why I would vote against comment-cache: I'd rather
have parens-in-comments-at-column-0 parsed incorrectly -- at least, until
syntax-ppss is fixed -- than to add another cache just to fix this problem.
Unless I've missed something...

I'm sorry for butting in on this discussion, but I've been following it with great interest.

During the course of this thread, it has been mentioned that merging comment-cache would create two different systems: the new one used to track comments, and syntax-ppss for everything else. Is there a technical reason why this isn't being considered?

From what I've understood, the way comment-cache solves the problem is clearly superior so I'm wondering why, when it was implemented, it was restricted to tracking comments only. Wouldn't this mechanism be useful as a complete replacement for the current implementation of syntax-ppss.

It seems as though Stefan is also thinking along those lines?