Re: A problem with old bugs

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: A problem with old bugs
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 11:26:32 +0100

() Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
() Wed, 01 Mar 2017 09:22:55 +0100

   Unfortunately, I have to say that I got very little feedback.
   [...]  I do understand the main reason (too few developers,
   the bugs were not critical), but I have to say that the
   situation isn't exactly motivating for me.

   Is there anything that could be done to avoid turning off
   people wanting to help with Emacs development?  Did I choose
   wrong bugs to work on?  If so, should I close them as
   "wontfix", even though (in 2 cases) there are actual patches
   that seem to fix them?

Do you have write privs to the repo?

If so, perhaps you can find motivation from installing changes
directly and dealing w/ any discussion that ensues, rather than
From positive feedback in discussion pre-commit.  This is the
vaunted "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission" model.
Of course, it's not always so much fun discussing one's mistakes
in public but (take it from someone w/ lots of experience making
mistakes :-D), it does get easier w/ practice.  Sez Perlis:

 Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve.
 Success is also easy to handle: You've solved the wrong
 problem.  Work hard to improve.

I take from this: Satisfaction (and thus motivation to continue)
comes from the hard work applied towards improvement.  What to
improve?  Emacs, yourself, Emacs and yourself, Emacs and others.

If not (no write privs), why not?  What are you waiting for?

--
 (defun responsep (query)