Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:23:24 +0200

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 07:37:56 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >    GEN      ../lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el
> >  Reading file "d:/gnu/git/emacs/no-unexec/leim/SKK-DIC/SKK-JISYO.L" ...
> >  Processing OKURI-ARI entries ...
> >  Processing POSTFIX entries ...
> >  Processing PREFIX entries ...
> >  Collecting OKURI-NASI entries ...
> >  collected 26% ...
> >  collected 30% ...
> >  collected 40% ...
> >  collected 50% ...
> >  collected 60% ...
> >  collected 70% ...
> >  collected 80% ...
> >  collected 90% ...
> >  Processing OKURI-NASI entries ...
> >  processed 10% ...
> >  processed 20% ...
> >  processed 30% ...
> >  processed 40% ...
> >  processed 50% ...
> >  processed 60% ...
> >  processed 70% ...
> >  processed 80% ...
> >  processed 90% ...
> >  processed 100% ...
> >  Select coding system (default japanese-shift-jis): utf-8-unix
> >
> > I needed to type utf-8-unix by hand.  Any ideas?  Is it possible that
> > this happens because my default encoding is not UTF-8?
>
> Looks like my environment has LANG=en_US.UTF-8, on Mac and GNU/Linux.  But
> setting LANG=C or en_US.ISO8859-1 doesn’t seem to cause the build to get hung
> up this way for me.
>
> Did you do a full bootstrap after updating?  An outdated dumped.elc could
> certainly do this, and I know at least some of the dependencies aren’t
> current with the changes on the branch.  (I’ve taken to going as far as “git
> clean -f -d -x”, then using autogen.sh, configure, and “make bootstrap”,
> fairly often.)

I've bootstrapped now, and this problem is gone.  Thanks.

> > Also, it looks like the logic in startup.el that should bypass certain
> > stuff under -Q isn't working, because I see my abbrevs being loaded
> > even though I invoked "emacs -Q".  Thoughts?
>
> Strange… this is also working for me.  At least, settings from my .emacs
> aren’t being applied, when I use “emacs -Q”.

This problem is still there.  It has nothing to do with loading
~/.emacs, though: startup.el always loads your ~/.emacs.d/abbrev_defs,
if that file exists.  I'm not sure why it loads that file, but I
verified that the master version does that as well.

So the issue here is not that the file is loaded, but how it is
processed.  I only noticed this because my abbrev_defs file uses a
function that is only defined in my .emacs.  So "emacs -Q" on the
raeburn-startup branch barfs because that function is not known.
Strangely, "emacs -Q" on the master branch doesn't signal an error,
and I don't even see Fsignal called if I set a breakpoint there.  I
don't (yet) understand why the different behavior.

If you insert into your abbrev_defs file something that references a
function which is not defined, do you see the same problem as I do?

Btw, one thing that I saw while debugging is that purify-flag is set
to t while running the startup code.  This is because init_alloc_once
is called during startup (previously, it was only called by temacs).
I don't know if this is related to the issue (setting purify-flag to
nil in Frecursive_edit didn't help), but I thought I'd bring it up,
because maybe we need to set it to nil earlier.