Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:40:22 -0400

> Another reason is the scenario Stefan mentioned; you are messing around
> in a branch, finally get it right, and rewrite history to pretend you
> knew where you would end up all along.
> It might make sense to keep the messy branch for history, and create a
> new branch that has the clean sequence of commits. But we officially
> only care about history on the main branch.

FWIW, I consider Git's solution to be unsatisfactory.

IMO, when we do a "rebase", Git should also keep the previous history, tho
only as a kind of "weak reference", so you wouldn't see that
"truthful&messy" history unless you cared about it: the rebased
revision wouldn't be enough to recover that messy history, but it would
be enough to relate the new revision with some past "messy" revision you
happened to have lying about.

        Stefan