Re: RFC: locale-sensitive Emacs functions

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: RFC: locale-sensitive Emacs functions
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:37:56 -0700

Gdobbins wrote:
In Common Lisp, such directives use : rather than ', but more importantly they
also take arguments to specify the grouping and the separation character.

The ' flag is the only printf flag that the POSIX printf function supports but the Emacs 'format' function does not. When I looked into this a while ago I remember concluding that I was glad I didn't have to write code to support the ' flag, as it would require messing with the LC_NUMERIC locale setting (currently hardwired to "C" for other good reasons) and would make for some work redoing carefully-calculated output buffer sizes internal to 'format', not to mention the character set conversion that would be required.

For what it's worth, the Common Lisp approach cannot handle the Indian numbering system, which has a comma every two digits except that the last grouping contains three digits (e.g., "12,34,56,789"). This is something that POSIX can do.