Re: Continuous integration

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:18:47 -0400

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 12:35:28 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Then there would be automatic building and testing for all commits with
>> results visible on the GitLab web stite.

GM> Why are you ignoring the existing continuous integration system that
GM> Emacs and other GNU projects have been using for years?

GM> http://hydra.nixos.org/project/gnu

I think it's fair to evaluate software that has the potential to improve
Emacs developers' experience.

IMHO Hydra (compared to GitLab) has a poor UI, is not very configurable
(especially on a per-developer level), and does not integrate deeply
with Git. It also has no support for code review or pull/merge requests.

I think notifications and webhooks are better in GitLab but that's
debatable.

The Nix build system is pretty arcane as well.

Finally, I don't think using GitLab precludes Hydra or any other CI
system.

Ted