Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does Emacs return memory to the system on Mac OS X or *BSD?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 20:25:01 -0400

> although I've not seen Emacs exceed 300 MB, which isn't too bad.  Still,
> I was obviously curious if I can lower that amount

IOW, you sometimes see Emacs use an amount of memory you think is too
large, but you have no idea whatsoever why that might be the case (IIUC
you don't even know if it's really too large or if it causes a problem).

There can be *many* different reasons, beside the fact that some freed
memory is not returned to the OS.  More to the point, whether the memory
is returned to the OS or not is usually the least concern on a laptop or
desktop machine.

        Stefan