Re: docstrings and elisp reference

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:31:16 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2017 23:19:48 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>   > - the type of the function return value
>
> That is not crucial in Lisp  the way it is in Java.
> Unlike Java, Lisp does not declare or limit the type of any values.

It could be important for Texinfo in general, though, because it is
used to describe other languages and facilities where this does
matter.

Likewise for other attributes you mention as unimportant for Lisp.

>   > - since when it was introduced
>
> That does not seem important to me.

But we already do have this information for customizable variables at
least.

>   > - it’s a hook variable
>
> We could define a systematic way to indicate this in doc strings.

I think the names of hook variables always match a few specific
regular expressions, so this information is already there.