Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers

From: Mark Oteiza
Subject: Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 23:18:00 -0400

On 12/07/17 at 05:39am, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:09:15 -0400
> >
> > address@hidden (Eli Zaretskii) writes:
> > >  (defface line-number
> > > -  '((t :inherit (shadow default)))
> > > +  '((t :inherit (shadow default) :family "Monospace Serif"))
> >
> > Niggling, but I think it would be better to simply add the existing
> > monospace serif face to the inherits, e.g.:
> >
> >   (fixed-pitch-serif shadow default)
>
> I don't necessarily mind, but can you explain why you think it would
> be better?
>
> One disadvantage of that is that now any changes to fixed-pitch-serif
> must also consider their effect on line-number.

Ah, I considered it a good thing to have one less place where
a particular typeface (well, in this case an alias) is specified.
I think of fixed-pitch, fixed-pitch-serif, and variable-pitch as places
to pick a family so other faces can inherit from them by default.

Put another way, one would only have to change one face to change the
monospace serif, instead of however each face specifying :family
"Monospace Serif" or some other typeface.  Though, perhaps I'm
misunderstanding face-font-family-alternatives.