Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 01:30:16 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alex <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:44:13 -0600
>>
>> > Sounds OK to me, thanks.  I think we do want all the variables to
>> > appear in the same customization group, even if they are defined
>> > separately.
>>
>> Well, it seems this cus-edit change doesn't fix it by itself. When
>> executing customize-group without display-line-numbers loaded, then the
>> lisp-level defcustoms aren't shown. It might be because there's a
>> missing entry in cus-load.el, but I don't know how to add a group to it.
>> linum, for instance, appears to automatically be added to it.
>
> cus-load.el is auto-generated.  Did the rule which updates it in
> lisp/Makefile get running after your changes, and was cus-load.el
> regenerated as result?  If not, maybe you need to run that rule by
> hand.

I'm still not well-versed in Emacs's build system. cus-load doesn't get
updated automatically for me (I had to manually run the target). Is this
expected? It appears that no rule forces cus-load to be regenerated, and
only bootstrap-clean removes the file.

After pulling changes, all I do is run "make -j4"; is it recommended to
run extra rules each time, or just when I notice issues?

>> Would it be better to skip creating a new defgroup and have all
>> variables just be in the display group, or are you in favour of a new
>> group just for line numbers?
>
> If it's a hassle to make a new group, we can stay in the display
> group.

It's not a hassle, but I was looking at the git-blame for cus-edit and
noticed that most of the entries are quite old. Is this group important
enough to add to the file?

It looks like I could just leave the defgroup definition in
display-line-numbers.el and the variables in cus-start.el can still use
it without display-line-numbers.el being preloaded.

Which file would you rather have it in?