Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:35:47 +0200

Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Nicolas,

> I was wondering if the Emacs binding for DBus handles peer to peer
> connections between two applications without a bus daemon?

There does not exist such an interface in the D-Bus specification. The
standard interface org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer offers the methods Ping and
GetMachineId, which are something different. See
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#standard-interfaces-peer>.

The Java D-Bus bindings offer the interface
org.freedesktop.dbus.DirectConnection, which "Handles a peer to peer
connection between two applications withou a bus daemon.". See
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-java/api/org/freedesktop/dbus/DirectConnection.html>.
 Likely
this is what you've asked for; it isn't implemented in the Emacs bindings.

> Cheers,
> Nico

Best regards, Michael.