Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 11:15:06 +0200

Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Nicolas,

> That's exactly what I meant.  Some applications communicate through
> dbus, using peer-to-peer communications, without using a bus.
>
> The Python binding allows for direct connections to be open like the
> following (TCP in this example):
>
>     import dbus;
>     conn = dbus.connection.Connection("tcp:host=localhost,port=1234")
>
> I think that calling `dbus_connection_open' with a dbus address would be
> enough to support direct connections in the Emacs binding (but I might
> be wrong).

I've never tried it peer-to-peer, but there is `dbus-init-bus'. If you
don't use `:system' or `:session' as BUS argument but a string address
as shown by you, it calls `dbus_connection_open' with that address. If
you provide a non-nil PRIVATE argument, it calls
`dbus_connection_open_private' instead. Play with this :-)

> Cheers,
> Nico

Best regards, Michael.