Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 20:08:42 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> EA> I guess my arguments for the package are pretty much what I stated
> EA> earlier, then. The present BBDB is limited in that record fields are just
> EA> key-value pairs, for the most part strings. If you want to add a new type
> EA> of field, you need to add branches to about a dozen `cond' statements
> EA> throughout the BBDB codebase. In EBDB, new field types can be added via an
> EA> external library. Likewise, the behavior of existing fields (and records
> EA> and databases) can be altered with external libraries. EBDB fields can
> EA> have arbitrarily complex data slots and behavior.
>
> This paragraph is enough for me to want it. :) The ability to make BBDB
> extensible in future without requiring core changes is definitely a positive
> thing.

Well, good! I'm bad at pitching, but I wouldn't have put all this work
in if I didn't think it was a fundamental improvement. The goal is a
fairly tight core of code that doesn't need to know about the
particulars of various database, record and field classes.

I'll continue sorting out the copyright questions.

Thanks,
Eric