Re: Why does make run git?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:52:30 -0700

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
perhaps CONTRIBUTE
and INSTALL should mention how to compile and run Emacs without running
Git or expecting a .git/hooks directory?

Those files already attempt to do that. In what sense do they fall short? What wording needs to be changed?

Or perhaps a better way to put it: what went wrong with your build, exactly? Is it something that autogen.sh can detect and work around automatically? It'd be better to automate away any problems than to complicate CONTRIBUTE and INSTALL to work around them.

Maybe there could even be a more automatic way to avoid running the Git
commands inside an automated build, where there's no chance they will be
needed?

That's easy, just run "rm -r .git". I don't think this is a good idea, though. Git might be needed in an automated build. I might run "git diff" at the end of such a build, for example, to test whether the build altered sources.