Re: Better macOS scrolling (was: Smoother macOS touchpad scrolling)

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Better macOS scrolling (was: Smoother macOS touchpad scrolling)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:26:31 +0100

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 08:13:25AM +0900, Tak Kunihiro wrote:
> > Updated patch attached.
> >
> > If anyone gives the patch a try, please let me know what you think.
>
> I tried the patch.  I compared experiences with or without the patch on
> following setup.
>
>   (setq mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(1 ((shift) . 5) ((control))))
>   (setq mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil)
>
> The scrolling experience is with more feel of acceleration.  I think
> this is good.

This should match the scrolling behaviour of other macOS applications.

> I also compared with or without the patch on following setup.
>
>   (setq mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(5 ((shift) . 1) ((control))))
>   (setq mouse-wheel-progressive-speed t)
>
> Both are still too fast.

Completely useless, imo.

> I think your patch handles two issues.  One improves response of
> touchpad and other changes default values.  I think two issues should be
> separated out.

I could split it into two, but I don’t see the benefit. The patch,
including setting defaults, results in behaviour that is similar to
other macOS applications. I’ve been over the previous discussions
about changing the defaults for mouse-wheel-progressive-speed, and the
general opinion seemed to be that we should be trying to make the
defaults as close to the operating system’s standard as possible. This
patch does that.

It only changes them for the NS port running on macOS. If the same
needs to be done on X and MS Windows, then that’s fine, and can be
done, but it doesn’t change the fact that we need to set defaults to
match the standard macOS behaviour.

--
Alan Third