Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 b

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why wasn't the 25.3 release based on the then-head of the emacs-25 branch?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:20:41 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Even if the Debian distro could be considered ample testing (and I'm
not sure it could, as Debian AFAIR are generally not on the bleeding
edge with system features, library and kernel versions, etc.)

As a practical matter, Debian has waaayy more testing than we do. If the patch worked for them that's a strong signal, stronger than any information we have to the contrary.

This release needed to be 100% safe.  Not 99.99%, 100%.

We would never release anything if we required 100% safety. That should not be the requirement. The requirement should be that the release be significantly better, and that it is worth the cost of making the release.

I'm not trying to relitigate 25.3's contents, and 25.3 is OK with me. This discussion is really more about we should do with the next emergency release, not the previous one. Among other things if we're just going to do single cherry-picked patches then there seems little point to maintaining the emacs-25 branch any more.