Re: Help getting backtrace in gdb

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Help getting backtrace in gdb
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 10:53:00 +0000

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017, 1:39 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
This is your problem:

I know :) That's why I need help. I am just putting this out in the list in the case others saw this issue too and got around it.

GDB is unable to call the debugging APIs on the
Emacs process.  I'm guessing you need some privilege to do that, and
your user lacks it, or your system configuration prevents it.

Could this be relevant:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Roadmap/KernelHardening#ptrace_Protection

My searching also ended up with the same result. I am on RHEL 6.6 though. I'll talk to the sysadmins to learn if they recently disabled ptrace. If that's the case, then I'll never be able to run gdb until I get my own GNU/Linux machine. (It sounds absurd that one can't use gdb if they don't have sudo rights.)

Also, with older gdb version, that ships with my OS, I don't get that ptrace error, but the gdb is not catching any exceptions from emacs. While in the latest gdb 8.0.1, I get ptrace error. So it could be use that the newer version is throwing an error where needed?

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi