Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:09:03 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:07:09 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I cannot be responsible for every useful URL out there.
>
> The newly-added change does not check for every useful URL, only for URLs to
> gnu.org or fsf.org.

That includes URLs such as

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-10/msg00592.html

doesn't it?  This is by far the most frequent use of URLs in the
commit log messages for me: to cite discussions on our lists, since it
is not uncommon to have an issue be raised on a list, rather than via
the bug tracker.  If you can amend the change to leave out URLs that
point to GNU mailing list messages, it's possible that what's left
will be insignificant noise for me.  But I rather suspect that
lists.gnu.org pointers are one of your main targets...

> The goal is for developers to have reliable communications
> from the GNU project itself, even if other sources are less reliable.

Sorry, I cannot be responsible for the protocols supported by GNU list
servers.  It is unreasonable to ask me to correct such references, or
risk to have my commits rejected.

> Without this change, I need to manually fix the gnu.org and fsf.org URLs in
> ChangeLog.<N>, which is an annoyance.

It is a similar annoyance to require me to do that when I need to cite
a mailing-list message.

> (Especially since many of these URLs are in my own commit
> messages. :-)

Well, you can always install such hooks locally, if that's the problem.

Thanks.