Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 22:14:48 +0200

On 11/5/17 3:22 PM, João Távora wrote:

I think the doors are still open for the "sooner" case :-) I don't have
rubucop, but defining new backends of the
"feed-to-stdin-then-parse-with-regexp" type is really easy (and of
really verbose, but we're trying to fix that)

OK, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Although the other option, I think, is for the said function to return
a lambda. The return value could be used with `defalias' or with
`add-hook' directly.

All of this is more verbose than the relatively standard way of using
"define" macros.

And add-hook for lambda's is not very nice imo because there isn't a
easy way to remove-hook afterwards.

The defalias way should be all right with remove-hook, though.

I'm in the "don't create new macros unless it's _really_ beneficial" camp, though it might be in the minority here.