Re: Reload file from disk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reload file from disk
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:29:24 +0200

> From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:17:18 +0100
>
> | but the visited file name is available through the minibuffer
> | history: type M-n to pull it into the minibuffer.
>
> But over the years, C-x C-f M-n RET started doing more and more
> bizarre things.  It now inserts the file name at point in the buffer,
> which is particularly annoying if you try to reload a ChangeLog file.

It does?  I cannot reproduce this in "emacs -Q".  Could it be that you
have some optional package activated which does that?  If not, can you
show a recipe starting from "emacs -Q" that reproduces the behavior
you describe?

> And I just noticed that when on a domain name such as example.com, it
> will apparently attempt to ping that host.

This I can reproduce, and you can disable it by customizing
file-name-at-point-functions to a nil value.

> Can we please make M-n behave as documented in this context, or even
> better, revert to the old C-x C-f RET behavior?  One could always
> browse the current directory using C-x C-f . RET, which is why never
> understood the motivation behind that change.

The previous behavior of "C-x C-f RET" was considered confusing and
not very useful by many users, so I don't think we want to go back
there.