Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk.in.
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 20:30:37 +0000

Hello again, Eli

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 21:35:19 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:27:04 +0000
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > No, it isn't.  "make distclean" is for when you build from a release
> > > tarball, not when you build from Git after checking out a different
> > > version of the tree.

> > OK, let me correct that: "make distclean's documentation is unclear".  It
> > fails to state clearly what you've just said.

> I think it does, but more documentation is available in
> standards.texi.

OK.

> > But I'll have a go at make extraclean, now.

Actually, extraclean would delete my backup files, so I didn't touch it.
Instead, the following recipe works for me:

    make maintainer-clean
    rm aclocal.m4 configure

.  I could make this into a new make target, say timetravel-clean.  :-)

> Thanks.

Incidentally, I spotted a bug in lisp/Makefile, after noticing that one
of the *loaddefs.el files wasn't purged.  At lisp/Makefile.in, L78, we
have:

# Elisp files auto-generated.
AUTOGENEL = loaddefs.el \
        $(LOADDEFS) \
        cus-load.el \
        finder-inf.el \
        subdirs.el \
        ps-print-loaddefs.el \
        emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el \
        calc/calc-loaddefs.el \
        eshell/esh-groups.el \
        cedet/semantic/loaddefs.el \
        cedet/ede/loaddefs.el \
        cedet/srecode/loaddefs.el \
        org/org-loaddefs.el \
        textmodes/reftex-loaddefs.el \
        mail/rmail-loaddefs.el \
        ibuffer-loaddefs.el \
        htmlfontify-loaddefs \             <============================
        emacs-lisp/eieio-loaddefs.el \
        dired-loaddefs.el

The third last entry is missing a ".el".  Should I just correct this in
the emacs-26 branch?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).