Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 17:17:59 -0800

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:13:58 -0800
>> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>>
>> > This incompatible change is not in NEWS.  We announced the function
>> > as obsolete in Emacs 23.2, but evidently Automake didn't take notice.
>> > So I'd rather we restored that functionality, perhaps with some
>> > annoying warning to encourage Automake to get their act together
>> > sooner rather than later.  Breaking all the Makefile.in files out there
>> > doesn't sound TRT to me.
>>
>> I've just posted an automake fix:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2017-11/msg00038.html
>
> Thanks.  The question that's important to us is, of course, when will
> this fixed version be available widely enough for us to consider
> removing the support for the old ones.

I agree. What Emacs does here will influence at least the wording of
the automake NEWS entry for that automake change I mentioned. Should I
call it a bug fix, because this behavior will make it into a release?
Or is it just a work-around for those who happen to be using
pre-release Emacs, and it won't affect anyone using an actual release?