Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 16:42:05 +0000

On 12/2/17 11:47 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Since Eli only wants MMM-support if it work 100% everywhere, I don't
think it matters what gets into Emacs itself in this respect, because
the real stuff will have to live elsewhere.

But we need prog-first-column in Emacs. Except it already is. >_<

The thing we should try and fight for of course are those such as making
indent-according-to-mode widen before calling indent-line-function.

Right. That's true for many major modes already, though.

I'm glad English includes enough redundancy that you could make out what
I meant.

:-)

The idea is just to highlight those lines whose indentation would be
modified by indent-line-function, so you only want to compute the
target column and compare it with the current column.

I still don't see how you're going to compute the target column without calling the indentation function. That's why switching to a non-mutating function will help.

Arguably `smie-indent-functions` already provides that functionality.
As an example, yes, but it's not like we can move all modes to SMIE.

Hence the "arguably": it can be used without using SMIE, but it's not as
convenient as you might like.  E.g. you can do:

Yeah... Let's not do that. Generic code won't really be able to rely on this practice anyway.

BTW, could we get some kind of multi-mode package in elpa.git or
emacs.git to go along with that (it doesn't have to be fancy, but it's
important that it doesn't have any submode-specific hacks).
Do you have any particular hacks in mind, in e.g. mmm-mode?

No.  Can we put mmm-mode into elpa.git?

I'll try emailing the original authors again. The last time I did that there were no replies, unfortunately.