Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window;

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window; add select-frame-window
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 18:43:23 -0500

What I really want and think is needed is a simpler programming model when multiple frames are involved.

I want something window-related with the simplicity of select-window and with-selected-window but that
handles the complexities of multiple frames and asynchronous window managers internally dealing with:
  window selection
  frame selection (already built-in to select-window)
  input focus
  and redisplay.

So if we had mega-select-window (whatever it is called), it would select the desired window and its frame,
switch input focus there and force a redisplay for that window.  mega-with-selected-window would be similar
but in macro form, handling arbitrary bodies.

Does anyone else see a need for something like this or am I the only one that finds there are too many gotchas
and complexities in dealing with combinations of these issues right now?

Bob

​(I will get back to expanding the doc for select-window later but I wanted to give you the broader view of what
triggered this).​