Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 08:50:57 -0800

On Sun 07 Jan 2018 at 09:08, John Wiegley wrote:

>> 1. All that needs to happen in smtpmail.el is for the
>>    'smtpmail-try-auth-methods' to have the following patch:
>
> Could it be done using advice-add in an ELPA package, while also proposing a
> general mechanism for hooking into this part of smtpmail?

I guess so, although it feels a bit strange to advise a function in
'smtpmail.el' from an 'auth-source' package.

A proper generalization of 'smtp-try-auth-method' is easy, of
course.  All you need is to split the test into functions, eg
'smtp-try-plain-auth-method', 'smtp-try-login-auth-method', etc, and
then have 'smtp-try-auth-method' simply call
'smtp-try-<mech>-auth-method.'  Then anybody would be able to define
their own and just add them to the 'smtpmail-auth-supported' list.

Do you think it is work working on a patch like this first?

--
Cesar Crusius