RE: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:55:41 -0800 (PST)

>  >>   > It would be good to dim them, however.
>  >>
>  >> There's no option to do that and there won't be any
>  >> with system tooltips.
>  >
>  > Why not?  Are you saying that this _cannot_ be done
>  > or only that you've decided that it "won't" be done?
>
> It cannot be done.  System tooltips have a uniform appearance.  So
> dimming is not applicable for the default user on GNU/Linux - the
> vast majority of Emacs users.  IIUC the same holds for Mac users.

I see.  Well if it can't be done then it can't be done.

I have a naive question, though - your mention of "system
tooltip" isn't clear to me.

I thought that Emacs tooltips were Emacs frames.  What
prevents Emacs from doing what it wants in such a frame?
This works for me, for example:

(x-show-tip (propertize "abc" 'face '(:foreground "gray")))

What's different here from what you are talking about?

OK, I'm using MS Windows.  But does this not work also
on GNU/Linux and Mac?

And if that doesn't work on such platforms, can't we use
a ("normal") Emacs frame where such things do work?  Just
what is it that makes it impossible for Emacs to dim the
text in a tooltip?  Sorry, but this is not clear to me.