Re: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:55:14 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:40:20 +0100
>
> > A lot.  I'm firmly against removing toolkits to appease GTK.  I think
> > GTK is an unholy mess, which can some day simply stop being supported,
> > and we definitely shouldn't lose useful features in its favor.
>
> OK. But if we stop supporting GTK at some point, what ends up being
> its replacement? I doubt we'll be able to support Lucid and Motif
> forever, given that X is going to be replaced with Wayland.

We should indeed move to supporting Wayland natively; volunteers are
most welcome to work on that.  The Cairo support was supposed to be
the first step in that direction, but it has known bugs and needs a
lot of loving care for us to be able to turn it on by default.
Working on this requires to have experts on board that we
unfortunately don't seem to have at this time, and that gap bothers me
personally quite a lot, because I think it's a serious threat to
Emacs's future.

But in any case, we should try to keep support for toolkits for as
long as they are used/usable, precisely because the future in this
area is so uncertain and not under any control/influence of our
project.  And we should also keep the no-toolkit build alive, because
it provides an easy way for quick-and-dirty integration with any
toolkit: you just write a small set of relatively simple functions
that implement few key interfaces, and you are basically done.

IOW, we should spread our risks in this and similar areas as wide as
possible.