Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 22:43:17 +0300

On 1/17/18 18:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The information is inside the TAGS file, isn't it?

Not really: the signature of each file at the moment of scan is
missing, and maybe also other things.

Meaning it's not known at etags runtime? That's true.

And I think it should be fairly easy (in terms of the algorithm, at
least) to implement incremental update for one-to-few files: you scan
through the file, remove the corresponding entries, and then scan the
files (ones that still exist) and add those entries at the end.

This should be relatively easy.  Is that what you meant by
"incremental"?

Incremental is the goal, and this is just one approach. Not sure whether it will help with 'make tags', like I said.

Maybe if Makefile somehow tracked the file that need to be reindexed? Using their mtimes, for instance.

Make tracks which files need to be recompiled, right? This could reuse the same mechanism, if possible.