Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:11:58 -0500

>> I don't think I can easily bring down the speed of package-initialize
>> much below 0.1s for my 200 packages on my Thinkpad T61.
> FWIW, activating about 100 packages in my config takes about .4s:

That's consistent with my 0.9s for 200 packages (tho not with John's 1s
for almost 400 packages), but it of course depends a lot on the details
of your machine (e.g. mine is almost 10 years old, John's is only 3).

> It looks likes package--add-to-archive-contents is linear in the
> number of packages, and called once per package?  I'm not sure why
> file-truename is called that much.

Note that my attempt to bring it down to 0.1s circumvents all that code
(or rather, pre-runs it offline to generate a single "mega-autoloads"
file, so that activation of all packages reduces to loading that one
file).

        Stefan