Re: FreeBSD configure error related to liblockfile

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: FreeBSD configure error related to liblockfile
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:19:40 -0400

Robert Pluim <address@hidden> writes:

> Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi,

>> Configure error:
>> - liblockfile package installed and `configure --without-x`

>> checking for maillock in -lmail... no
>> checking for maillock in -llockfile... no
>> checking for liblockfile.so... yes
>> configure: error: Shared liblockfile found but can't link against it.
>> This probably means that movemail could lose mail.
>> There may be a 'development' package to install containing liblockfile.

> Could you show us the config.log corresponding to this error? And tell
> us which version of Emacs you're building?

>> No configure error:
>> - liblockfile package not installed
>> - liblockfile package installed and `configure` (no arguments)
>> - liblockfile and GNU mailutils packages installed

>> What do you recommend for the package?

>> 1. We could just add ac_cv_prog_liblockfile=no to the configure environment.
>> 2. We could add a dependency on GNU mailutils.
>> 3. We could add an option to depend on GNU mailutils.  If that option is
>> turned off, then add ac_cv_prog_liblockfile=no to the configure environment.
>> 4. Another approach I am missing.

> The fact that this happens only when using '--without-x' indicates to
> me that there might be a bug in our configure script which we should
> attempt to fix.

> Robert

This is with version 25.3 and with a recent commit from the master branch.

Here is the config.log (liblockfile installed and --without-x).
https://ftfl.ca/misc/emacs_nox_error_liblockfile.log

Here is the config.log for a successful configure (liblockfile installed)
https://ftfl.ca/misc/emacs_config.log

These are the files included in the liblockfile package.

# pkg info -l liblockfile
liblockfile-1.14:
        /usr/local/bin/dotlockfile
        /usr/local/include/lockfile.h
        /usr/local/include/maillock.h
        /usr/local/lib/liblockfile.a
        /usr/local/lib/liblockfile.so
        /usr/local/lib/liblockfile.so.1
        /usr/local/lib/liblockfile.so.1.0
        /usr/local/man/man1/dotlockfile.1.gz
        /usr/local/man/man3/lockfile_create.3.gz
        /usr/local/man/man3/maillock.3.gz
        /usr/local/share/doc/liblockfile/Changelog
        /usr/local/share/doc/liblockfile/README
        /usr/local/share/licenses/liblockfile-1.14/GPLv2+
        /usr/local/share/licenses/liblockfile-1.14/LGPL21+
        /usr/local/share/licenses/liblockfile-1.14/LICENSE
        /usr/local/share/licenses/liblockfile-1.14/catalog.mk

Joseph