Re: pdumping "into" the executable

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: pdumping "into" the executable
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:00:34 -0800

On 02/26/2018 05:38 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Another way to avoid having a "separate dump" file is to turn things
around: make the dump start with "#!/..../emacs --dump-file".
Of course, it's got its own set of problems.

Such as working at all only on unix-ish systems. (Windows batch files aren't quite good enough.) If we're going to go this route, the append-to-the-binary trick is probably the best approach. Its only real disadvantages are that strip(1) removes the dump and that changing the executable would disturb the signature, if we signed the binary. I don't think strip-robustness is all that important, and I'd hope we could re-sign binaries as needed.

I have a PoC of the append thing, but for now, I think the separate file approach is working well enough.