Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:59:21 -0500

On 2018-03-06 11:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think I'm still missing something, because I don't understand why we
> need to invent/use a strategy different from what we do now in code
> indentation.  [...]  All the rest is already in place,
> right?

I think I know where the misunderstanding is coming from.

We're thinking of two unrelated things:

* Paul and I have been discussing an language-agnostic heuristic to preserve
alignment when changing from monospace to variable-pitch faces.  This intends
to preserve the original indentation of the code, by inferring what it would
have been if the logic originally used to indent the document had been aware of
variable-pitch faces.

* You're describing a language-specific way to get a nice-looking
variable-pitch rendering of a document; your way is to reindent the document,
essentially.

Does this make sense?