Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:15:34 -0800

On 03/06/2018 12:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
We have indentation
already; its only problem is that it doesn't work well with variable
pitch fonts.

As I understood it, Clément wrote a quick-and-dirty algorithm to simulate better indentation with variable-width fonts. That is, it wasn't intended to be something that should go into Emacs, only as a way to see what the the user would see if we changed Emacs's display of indentation to be along the suggested lines. Unless I'm misunderstanding, his work provided a simple proof-of-concept that a relatively-inexpensive way of improving indentation would significantly improve display with variable-width fonts.