Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 18:39:34 +0100

Glenn Morris writes:
> Note that this will make info generation depend on the existence of
> src/emacs, when it was previously independent.

Well, you could certainly define a separate Emacs instance to be used
for the generation of the documentation unless you do a full greenfield
bootstrap.

> Also, if any other manual made the same change, it would prevent
> bootstrapping Emacs without Org present (eg if the idea to include elpa
> packages in Emacs releases ever goes anywhere, and it's desired to stop
> duplicating Org in the Emacs repo; an idea which still makes complete
> sense to me).
>
> (Just trying to list some items relevant to the "other tweaking" part.)

I'd say that it just changes the way how the bootstrap is done, I don't
yet see it preventing anything.  The same line of argumentation needs to
be followed for the tarball generation.

Regards,
Achim.