Re: Why is there no `until' in elisp?

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Why is there no `until' in elisp?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 01:00:15 +0200

On 2018-10-16 at 13:23, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I don't think it has anything to do with making the language harder to
> learn. It's just the fact that the constructs are so easy to add (this
> is the power of lisp, after all), and different developers might want
> very slightly different versions of the same thing, so people just put
> in their own versions of things.

I was to say that when it’s about simple enough things, there’s a way
people agree, especially if we try keeping it minimal, but then Stefan
Monnier proposed a different version of until I didn’t though about, so
I must admit this is more complex (I keep thinking we need different
words / identifiers for non-minimal cases).

> Obviously there are plenty of people who feel differently about it,
> which is why we have all these supplementary packages within Emacs and
> the package repositories.

If we’re effectively speaking of stuff big enough to justify a package,
then we’re going into DSL libraries that might make themselves alien and
less readable to the uninitiated.

> But the core of the language remains conservative about additions.
> Personally, I think that's a good thing.

I’m unsure, it encourages reinventing the wheel, while there are other
measurment to discriminate between what is known, common and popular and
the more experimental rest.