Re: Why is there no `until' in elisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why is there no `until' in elisp?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 22:04:10 -0400

> I think `until' should refer to the version I gave because this is
> probably the one which is going to be implemented naively by most people,

I completely reject this kind of argument.

By that argument, we should avoid lexical scoping since dynamic scoping
is "the one which is going to be implemented naively by most people".

> also it can be useful to try to retrieve the last body return
> value, just as it is with `while':

The body of those loops is made of side-effecting operations.
Usually side-effecting operations don't have useful return values.

> And then, of course, this introduce useless discrepancy toward
> symmetry within respect `while'.

No discrepancy: it makes `until` return the value of its last test, just
like `while` already does (with `while` that value is always nil).

        Stefan