Re: master b34f9a44393: Apply remote-file-name-access-timeout in desktop

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master b34f9a44393: Apply remote-file-name-access-timeout in desktop.el and recentf.el
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 16:42:43 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Robert,

> This is a good change, although I wonder if we should set
> `remote-file-name-access-timeout' non-nil by default, maybe something
> relatively conservative like 60 seconds?

See the discussion in bug#64401. Initially, I've proposed a default of
30 seconds (IIRC); Eli replied with a proposal of 10 seconds.

But this is theory. If a connection is already established, a small
value of even 1 second would suffice. OTOH, if you need the initial
connection phase (f.e. during Emacs startup), with a slow connection to
the remote host, 60 seconds might be too short. And think about
multi-hops, where the initial connection phase could last longer.

That's why I've decided for the nil value, which is also the equivalent
to the current behavior - no timeout. But this is not set in stone, if
people believe another value is godd, then let's try it.

Btw, I've thought also about supporting connection-local values for
remote-file-name-access-timeout. For a fast connection you set it to 10
seconds, for another connection you use a larger value. Not implemented
yet, I don't know whether users want such a fine-grained customization.

> (I also see you use `natnump' for
> `remote-file-name-access-timeout'. Is 0 a sane value to allow, I think
> it would cause immediate timeout?)

Yes, an immediate timeout.

> Robert

Best regards, Michael.