Re: master b34f9a44393: Apply remote-file-name-access-timeout in desktop

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: master b34f9a44393: Apply remote-file-name-access-timeout in desktop.el and recentf.el
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 17:41:36 +0200

    Michael> But this is theory. If a connection is already established, a small
    Michael> value of even 1 second would suffice. OTOH, if you need the initial
    Michael> connection phase (f.e. during Emacs startup), with a slow
connection to
    Michael> the remote host, 60 seconds might be too short. And think about
    Michael> multi-hops, where the initial connection phase could last longer.

    Michael> That's why I've decided for the nil value, which is also the
equivalent
    Michael> to the current behavior - no timeout. But this is not set in
stone, if
    Michael> people believe another value is godd, then let's try it.

Iʼm all for retaining backwards compatibility, but when the behaviour
weʼre retaining is 'hang forever', I think we should consider putting
in a default timeout. If it turns out to be too short, for some
people, then they can adjust their local value, no?

    Michael> Btw, I've thought also about supporting connection-local values for
    Michael> remote-file-name-access-timeout. For a fast connection you set it
to 10
    Michael> seconds, for another connection you use a larger value. Not
implemented
    Michael> yet, I don't know whether users want such a fine-grained
customization.

YAGNI. Iʼd wait until people ask for it.

    >> (I also see you use `natnump' for
    >> `remote-file-name-access-timeout'. Is 0 a sane value to allow, I think
    >> it would cause immediate timeout?)

    Michael> Yes, an immediate timeout.

OK. I donʼt see the utility of that, but itʼs your code :-)

Robert