Re: is GPL2 or later enough for having a package in ELPA?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: is GPL2 or later enough for having a package in ELPA?
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 21:58:51 -0400

  > Is it ok if all lisp files are under GLP 2 or later?

That question has multiple possible meanings.  But each meaning
results in the conclusion that we could do what we need to do.

1, If we get the programs listing GNU GPL 2 or later as the license,
we can change them to say GPL 3 or later, which is simply dropping the
GPL 2 option.  Anyone can do that.

2. If we get copyright assignments for that code, which we would want
in order to put them in GNU ELPA, we can relicense them.  We would
relicense them to GPL 3 or later.