Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 13:57:03 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
> Sorry, no sneaking.  If you have some plan for serious changes, please
> bring that up and let's talk about them.

Tempting, but...no.  Not yet.  I have another major project I need to
finish, or nearly finish, first.

https://gitlab.com/esr/shimmer

"A tool to manage issues, merge-request, or mailing-list message
threads embedded in a Git repository. Replaces centralized software forges by
allowing all project metadata to travel with the repository, with fast
notifications via email."

Centralized forge sites need to die because they are single points of technical
failure and chokepoints for rent-seeking and political capture.  This is not a
theoretical issue, we've seen technical collapse at Berlios and destructive
ewnt-seeking at SourceForge.

I love Emacs but this has higher priority. I'm not even going to
broach the possibility of another large project until this one is well
launched.

I was hoping to make small changes to smoothe the way for what I have in mind,
but if I can't do that I can't do that.

> I CC'ed you on the message which described that, see:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-08/msg00138.html

Thank you.