Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 13:20:41 +0200

>> AFAIK, all the Emacs-like implementations mentioned on the
>> web page run on unmodified CL implementations, so you get
>> the speed of that CL implementation.
>
> Uhm, what's an "unmodified CL implementation"?

The implemention as released by the project or vendor.

> And what implementations are those, you mean they are not as
> fast as SBCL?

What the Emacs-alikes support varies. I haven't checked recently, but I know that Lem, for instance, started by only supporting SBCL. Hemlock is part of CMUCL and wasn't portable, hence Portable Hemlock. There's also an Emacs-alike that is part of Lispworks' CL implementation (commencial). And so on. Please consult the project pages.

For some benchmarks on 10 CL implementations, please see

https://www.cliki.net/performance%20benchmarks

BTW, I get DNS errors when sending mail to you via Gmail. Don't know what's happening.

Reporting-MTA: dns; dataswamp.org

Final-Recipient: rfc822; incal@dataswamp.org
Action: failed